Friday, April 24, 2015

Quarter-life Crisis: To the rest of the world from a 25 year old who's just taking her time

"And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good."
- East of Eden, A novel by John Steinbeck


It's very hard to single out a word from a language that makes “shit” sound delightful, but of all the words in the french dictionary, “flaneur” is perhaps my favorite. It essentially means someone who strolls around without a specific destination in mind, while enjoying and observing life as it happens. You can say it's “wanderer” in english, although that's just a rough translation.

If you would ask me to describe myself in one word, I guess that would be it. I am “Le flaneur”. I used to think I was lost, but I later realized that I am just taking my time. I do not know where I am going yet, but I'm determined to make the most out of this “flanerie” and gain a better understanding of life from where I am.

“Taking my time” at 25, though, is not a very popular choice in a world that expects me to have clear-cut goals. It's often very difficult to keep strolling with my head held high and my dignity intact when everybody else is goading me to take the train with the rest of my more accomplished counterparts.

There were several instances when I was this close to succumbing to the never-ending pressures. I almost gave up my resolve and fast-tracked my way into maturity just so I could finally free myself from the nags and the judgmental stares, but I am glad I didn't because getting on that train, at this moment of my life, still feels like settling. I can play the part of a responsible grown-up, but I don't want to play pretend. The “Barney phase” of my life is over and I don't want to go back there anymore.

People develop at their own pace. The chosen few know what they want to do with their lives the moment they carried themselves and their technicolored lunchboxes into the chaos and fantasy of pre-school. The lucky ones form a 10-year goal by the time they loiter the hallowed university halls, while the ones, like me, are suspended in a taboo: crawling in circles, still trying to figure out the way to the life we have imagined.

The mounting pressures only add to my confusion and the attempts to hasten this process of self-discovery only creates another gap between me and whatever it is that I am searching for. I expect something of myself too, and you might be surprised to know that those expectations are greater than yours.

Even I cannot tell what possibilities this squander holds; what passions it may unearth and the desires it may unmask. I may be a vagabond in your eyes today, but I certainly won't be that way forever. All I am asking of you is to let me explore – the world around me and myself. I want to see more, feel more, and understand more because my soul yearns for more wisdom in order to hear the muffled whispers of my heart. You had your chance at mistakes and failures. It's my turn now. It is not enough that you pass your wisdom to me; I have to live the moments that gave you that wisdom to make it my own.

Let me make mistakes and learn from them; let me tumble so I'll know pain; let me experience failure because I want to know what they meant when they said victory is sweetest as after you have faced defeat.

Let me fall down, so I can rise up, run, jump, fly and then soar.

Give my heart and my mind the time they demand to turn me into a woman you'll be proud of.

I'll catch up with the rest of the world, but not now.
Someday.
In my own time; on my own terms.
Not by train, but on a jet a plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment