Saturday, April 25, 2015

Impromptu Summer Getaway: Appletree Resort & Hotel CdeO


More than a week ago, I came home to the Philippines for a break from my work abroad. The first thing I noticed when I got off the plane in Manila to transfer to my connecting flight, bound for Cagayan de Oro, was the heat. While I am very aware that summers in the Philippines are hot, the heat this summer has escalated into a whole new level, and every day, I keep looking for ways to battle the humidity and the ceaseless assault of the scorching sun.

One lazy afternoon, while I was nagging my brother to run to the mall and buy me a smoothie, I came across a post on Instagram hash-tagged “appletreeresortcdo”. When I visited their site, I was surprised to see that the resort of my childhood was revamped into a trendier getaway, and a picturesque infinity pool was added into the mix. 


I suddenly became nostalgic. 

Way before it became the Appletree we know today, the resort used to be named Lauremar, and I have the fondest childhood memories of summers spent running around its poolside with my cousins.

LAUREMAR: the Appletree of my childhood days
Disclaimer: Photo from travelblog.org
The memory of those days stirred something in me as I watched my sister focus on her mobile game with a concentration that could put chess-masters to shame.

And so, driven by the forces of nostalgia and curiosity, plus the unbearable humidity and heat, I pulled my sister away from her gadgets and dragged her to Appletree Resort & Hotel in Barangay Taboc, Opol, Misamis Oriental to cool off.



Appletree is a 15-20 minute drive from the center of Cagayan de Oro City (a taxi-ride would probably cost around Php150-200), and while there are plenty of pool-places that are closer to the city-proper, the resort is more appealing to those who don't mind the extra travel-minutes because of it's beachfront that's just a few steps away from the pool-area.


Day-use of the pool is for Php150; from 9 am – 9pm, and proper swimwear is required. Guests are free to go for a swim in the adjacent beach and use the chairs, tables, and pool lounges around the area. Free wifi access is also available, just ask any of the pool attendants or the front office staff for the password. 


If you get hungry after swimming, you can always grab a snack from their restaurant when you feel hungry. The resort does not allow day-users to bring food bought outside the premises, but if you insist on bringing your own meals or snacks, you can negotiate with the front desk staff about the corresponding corkage fees.

Al fresco dining overlooking the pool are and the beachfront


The resort is also very accessible to tourists who are visiting or passing by Cagayan de Oro as the municipality of Opol is nestled somewhere in between Cagayan de Oro and Laguindingan International Airport. Getting there is easy because the place is well-known. Just tell the cab driver to take you to Appletree resort or ask the locals for directions. The resort also offers airport pick-up services, but you have to contact the management and make the necessary arrangements days before your arrival.
Disclaimer: photo from Appletree Resort's official site
With accommodation rates ranging from Php2500 – Php4500, the resort is a good option for staycations and quick getaways. 

Families and friends can luxuriate by the pool in the afternoons and then enjoy a bonfire by the beach at night. Couples who want to share a romantic weekend together can take a leisurely stroll along the shore while basking in the beauty of the sunset.


My sister and I mostly spent our time taking water-selfies and underwater shots in the pool.




We headed to the beach later in the afternoon, but to catch a magnificent view of the setting sun.


I wish we could've spent a night there, but nevertheless, we had a fun time. My sister even made some new friends. Thinking about it now as I'm posting this, Im sort of glad I was able to give her a glimpse of my own childhood and what summer was like for us then - minus the GoPro, of course.



For questions and more information, you can visit their website: http://appletreeresortcdo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment